The Philippines has once again warned China about its refusal to accept the ruling by an international tribunal that dismisses Beijing’s territorial claims in the disputed South China Sea.
Philippine Foreign Minister Perfecto Yasay on Tuesday called on Beijing to recognize the ruling or it would be a “loser.”
A Hague-based court of arbitration ruled in July that China’s claims to sovereignty over the disputed areas in the South China Sea or its resources “had no legal basis.”
The case had been filed by the Philippines, whose economic and sovereign rights, according to the court, have been violated by Beijing.
China, however, dismissed the ruling, saying the tribunal has no jurisdiction over the issue.
“We are trying to make China understand especially when the dust settles that unless they respect and recognize the arbitral tribunal, they will be the losers at the end of that day on this matter,” Yasay said.
Last week, Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte made a similar call and warned China against a “bloody” confrontation over the disputed waters.
China, which claims sovereignty over almost all of the South China Sea,said last month that it was ready to start negotiations with Manila if it ignores the court ruling.
Last month, China’s Foreign Ministry said Beijing and Manila had agreed in 1995 to settle disputes in the South China Sea “in a peaceful and friendly manner through consultations on the basis of equity and mutual respect.”
Experts predicted that the court ruling could inflame tensions in the region.
The sea, parts of which are claimed by Brunei, Malaysia, Taiwan, Vietnam as well as the Philippines, has so far become a source of tension between China, the US, and some other regional countries, who are seeking control of trade routes and mineral deposits there.