Fighters affiliated with Libya’s Government of National Accord (GNA) have recaptured a new area in Sirte as they push ahead with their military operation to fully liberate the Daesh-held city.
The GNA said on Monday that its fighters managed to capture a new sector near the Daesh command center, east of al-Dollar District in Sirte, following intense clashes with the Takfiri terrorists.
“Our forces have targeted Daesh snipers and their mines,” the GNA said in a statement on Monday.
Libyan forces had been fighting for the area since Thursday.
They launched a large-scale military operation in May to retake Sirte, which fell to Daesh last year. They entered the city in June and have managed to retake several residential districts since then.
Libyan troops have also been struck and slowed down as the Takfiri militants hit back with sniper fire, car bombs and attacks.
The fighters, however, have vowed to liberate the whole city in an operation, for which they are getting prepared.
This picture released on June 2 shows Libyan fighters during an operating against Daesh terrorists in Sirte. ©AFP
Foreign forces from several Western countries, including the United States, France and Britain, are in Libya in a purported fight against Daesh.
In May, both Washington and London confirmed the presence of their troops in Libya.
The GNA, which is recognized as the legitimate government of Libya by the US, France, Britain and the Unite Nations, denounced the presence of foreign troops and described the intervention as the violation of the county’s sovereignty.
The North African country has been the scene of violence since a NATO military intervention followed the 2011 uprising that led to the toppling and killing of the longtime dictator, Muammar Gaddafi.
Daesh has taken advantage of the chaos gripping the country to strengthen its foothold there.