China has updated the death toll from its strongest typhoon in 70 years, saying 28 people have been killed in the storm that crashed into the country’s coastline.
The official Xinhua agency said Sunday that 15 people were still unaccounted for after heavy rains and winds hit the eastern Fujian province, saying the typhoon had damaged the roads and power supply lines in the city of Xiamen.
Xinhua said the Meranti typhoon was the most powerful in the world this year and the strongest to hit the region since records began in 1949. It said more than 3,000 trees were uprooted in the storm while many walls and structures, including an 871-year-old bridge that was a protected heritage site in Yongchun county, were destroyed. Over 10,000 workers are continuing clean-up operations, it added.
Streets in Fujian were flooded late last week when heavy rains and winds up to 170 kilometers per hour (105 miles per hour) began to sweep through the territory. The storm knocked over trees, billboards and power lines.
Meranti began to hit Xiamen early Thursday after it swept through the southern tip of Taiwan. Xinhua said the electricity of more than 3.2 million homes was cut off at one point while many communities experienced disruptions in their water supplies.
Report say neighboring Zhejiang province has also been affected by the typhoon. Fujian and Zhejiang along China’s eastern coast face another powerful storm as Typhoon Maralas approaches while central and northern parts of Taiwan awaited heavier rains and winds as of Sunday.