Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim (R) delivers a speech next to European Parliament President Martin Schulz during a joint press conference at the Cankaya Palace in Ankara, Turkey, on September 1, 2016. ©AFP
Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildirim has dismissed demands by the European Union for changing the country's counter-terror law in return for granting Turkish citizens visa-free entry to Europe.
“We once again reiterate that we cannot make any amendment to the anti-terror laws due to the circumstances that we are currently facing,” Yildirim said at a joint news conference with European Parliament President Martin Schulz in Ankara on Thursday.
Yildirim also said the issue is a matter of both Turkey's security and Europe's fight against terrorism, adding that “flexibility in anti-terror laws is out of the question.”
Schulz, for his part, said there has been no progress towards visa waivers for Turkish nationals due to the differences between the 28-member politico-economic bloc and Ankara.
Speaking in an interview with the German-language Bild newspaper published on Monday, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu once again stated that Ankara would scrap a refugee deal it has struck with the EU unless Turks are allowed visa-free entry to Europe.
Based on the deal, struck with the EU in March to stem the flow of refugees into Europe, refugees arriving on European soil via the Aegean Sea may be sent back to Turkey. For each refugee returned, the EU will take one Syrian refugee currently living in Turkey. In return, the EU has made several commitments to Ankara, including financial aid, visa-free travel for Turks, and progress in its EU membership negotiations.
Efforts to reach the deal have so far been hampered by Turkey’s refusal to revise its anti-terrorism laws, which the EU says are too broad, and a massive crackdown on officials and ordinary people suspected of affiliation to the movement of US-based opposition cleric Fethullah Gulen, whom the Ankara government accuses of having orchestrated the failed July 15 coup attempt.
Detained Turkish soldiers, who allegedly took part in the failed July 15 military coup attempt, arrive with their hands bound behind their backs at the Istanbul Justice Palace, Turkey, on July 20, 2016. ©AFP
A faction of the Turkish military declared itself in charge of the country on the night of July 15. Renegade military personnel in Ankara and Istanbul deployed tanks and helicopters to fight loyalists to the incumbent government.
The coup attempt was suppressed as people turned out on the streets to support Erdogan and his ruling Justice and Development Party.
At least 246 people were killed and more than 2,100 others sustained injuries in the coup attempt.
Gulen has condemned the coup attempt and denied any involvement in the violence.

[Lifestyle Viral World News][combine][Lifestyle][5]

[Science Viral World News][combine][Science][5]

[Middle East Viral News][featuredpost][Middle East][10]

[African Viral World News][combine][Africa][5]

[Asian Viral News][featuredpost][Asia][10]

 
Top