Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi (Photo by Mehr news agency)
Iran has decried the recent terrorist attacks in Egypt’s volatile Sinai Peninsula that left over a dozen soldiers dead, voicing alarm over the spread of Takfiri terrorism to other regions beyond the Middle East.
On Sunday, Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi expressed Iran’s disgust with all terrorist acts in any form and location, calling on the international community and regional governments to take heed of the expansion of the “ominous phenomenon.”
The growing wave of violence, terror and extremism, “which has targeted all walks of people in the region, including soldiers and civilians, could not be countered except through the unification of governments, a global resolve and regional nations’ vigilance, in particular,” Qassemi said.
He also underlined Iran’s strong disapproval of any actions aimed at fueling terror, insecurity and instability.
The Iranian diplomat further voiced Tehran’s empathy with the Egyptian government and nation, offering condolences to the families of the victims.
On Friday, Takfiri Daesh terrorists attacked a security checkpoint near the town of Bir el-Abd, killing 12 Egyptian soldiers and wounding at least six more.
It was the first major attack in the central Sinai area, which had so far escaped the militancy.
Daesh claimed that it had killed more than 20 soldiers while suffering no losses itself, but the Egyptian military said 15 assailants died in Friday’s gun battle at the checkpoint.
Separately on Saturday, security and medical officials said a member of the security forces was killed when suspected militants attacked a checkpoint close to the town of Sheikh Zuweid in northern Sinai.
On the same day, Egypt’s President Abdel-Fattah el-Sisi predicted a long battle against Sinai militants. The country’s jets also carried out a string of aerial attacks against Takfiri militants in the rugged and thinly populated region.
The photo shows citizens and dignitaries attending the funeral of two victims of a mortar attack on a checkpoint in el-Arish, North Sinai’s provincial capital, at a mosque in Ismailia, Egypt, March 20, 2016. (Via AP)
The Sinai Peninsula has been under a state of emergency since October 2014, following a deadly terrorist attack that left 33 Egyptian soldiers dead.
Over the past years, militants have been carrying out anti-government activities and fatal attacks, taking advantage of the turmoil caused in Egypt after democratically-elected president, Mohamed Morsi, was ousted by the military in July 2013.
Velayat Sinai terrorists have claimed most of the assaults, mainly targeting the army and police.
In November 2014, the group pledged allegiance to Daesh, which is mainly operating in Iraq and Syria.

[Lifestyle Viral World News][combine][Lifestyle][5]

[Science Viral World News][combine][Science][5]

[Middle East Viral News][featuredpost][Middle East][10]

[African Viral World News][combine][Africa][5]

[Asian Viral News][featuredpost][Asia][10]

 
Top