Iran's Intelligence Minister Mahmoud Alavi has announced that a Takfiri terrorist plot involving foreign nationals has been discovered and thwarted in the southern province of Fars.
Alavi made the announcement on Wednesday, adding that during the operations, several foreign nationals were detained and around 100 kilograms of explosives were discovered.
He also said that the Takfiris had planned to carry out their plot during the mourning ceremonies commemorating the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein (PBUH), the third Shia imam.
“Evidence shows that Iran’s enemies guided the terrorists from overseas to create sectarian strife inside the country,” he said, adding that they failed to carry out their plot due to the Iranian nation’s vigilance.
On Tuesday, Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) foiled an attempt by a team of counter-revolutionary terrorists to infiltrate the country via its northwestern province of Kordestan.
Brigadier General Mohammad Hossein Rajabi, the commander of the IRGC’s Kordestan arm, made the announcement, noting that the terrorists were from the Kurdistan Free Life Party, also known as PJAK.
IRGC forces engaged the gang in the Golchidar area of the province’s Marivan county, inflicting material losses and casualties on them and forcing them to flee.
Earlier in the year, a Takfiri-Wahhabi plot to stage attacks in Iran’s major cities, including Tehran, was thwarted. The country’s Intelligence Ministry then released a video showing the security forces raiding the hideout of the terrorists in the capital.