Thousands of people have rallied in the Yemeni capital to denounce a Saudi airstrike that killed dozens of civilians during a funeral ceremony.
People took to the streets in Sana’a on Wednesday, chanting slogans against the kingdom’s ruling dynasty, such as “Death to the Saud family.”
The participants also accused the United States of complicity in the Saudi war of aggression against the impoverished nation.
“We will not give in to the Americans,” chanted the protesters, who had gathered to commemorate the day of Ashura, the martyrdom anniversary of Imam Hussein (PBUH), the third Shia Imam.
In one of the deadliest attacks in the country, Saudi fighter jets bombarded a funeral hall packed with mourners in Sana’a on Saturday, killing over 140 people and injuring at least 525 others.
In a televised speech on Wednesday, Abdul-Malik al-Houthi, the leader of Yemen's Houthi Ansarullah movement, called for “revenge” attacks against Saudi Arabia.
“The carnage hit... well-known people from all sides, which has embarrassed the Americans,” he said, adding revenge was “everyone's responsibility”.
He said the Saudi military aggression against Yemen was being carried out under the supervision of the US.
Yemen has been under relentless Saudi airstrikes since March 2015, when Saudi Arabia launched its military aggression against the neighboring country in an attempt to undermine Ansarullah and reinstate Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a staunch ally of Riyadh, who has resigned from his post as the country's president.
The Saudi military aggression against Yemen has so far claimed the lives of at least 10,000 people, according to the UN.