People in Yemen have gathered on the streets of the capital Sana’a for the funeral of the city’s mayor who was killed in a deadly Saudi airstrike.
Abdel Qader Hilal’s mass funeral was held on Monday. He was killed along with over 140 others on Saturday when Saudi military aircraft attacked a hall in Sana’a where rows of people were attending a funeral.
Meanwhile, UN peace envoy to Yemen, Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed, has called for immediate action against the perpetrators of the deadly attack.
"We must do everything possible to ensure the authors of these heinous attacks face justice," he told reporters in Paris.
He also noted that Saudis must publish the result of an investigation they claim to be carrying out over the incident."We need to have the results of the investigation underway very quickly," he stressed.
"We have all been saddened by the fact these attacks took place amid significant progress in the long peace negotiations, and at a time when we were negotiating a durable accord," he added.
Earlier, United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-moon said that there must be accountability for the "appalling conduct" of the ongoing war on Yemen that has claimed the lives of 10,000 people have so far.
"Aerial attacks by the Saudi-led coalition have already caused immense carnage, and destroyed much of the country's medical facilities and other vital civilian infrastructure…More broadly, there must be accountability for the appalling conduct of this entire war," he said.
The onslaught was launched in an unsuccessful attempt to restore power to Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi, a Saudi ally who has resigned as Yemen’s president but seeks to forcefully return to power.