Insurgent group, Jama’atu AhlisSunnah
Lidda’awati Waljahad, popularly known as Boko Haram has launched a new
Public Relation campaign via twitter meant to win people over to its side. The
twitter handle, Alurwa Alwuthqa, which claim to be the mouthpiece of the
group, announced the sect’s capture of Monguno while also showing
pictures of child soldiers in training.
account communicating in Arabic which started twitting on the 18th of
January with a message about Baga attack has over 5,000 followers.Though
there is no video of the group’s leader Abubakar Shekau on the account,
there is a video of an interview with one Abu Mus’ab Albarnawi who is
said to be the spokesman of the group. Both the interviewer and interviewee in the video had their faces blurred.
Twitter Account of Boko Haram: https://twitter.com/Alurwa_Alwuthqa
Nigerian Defence Headquarters has not issued any comment on the twitter
account and its content as at the time of filing this report.
Considering that the group is anti-western education and development, its quite ironic that it now has its own twitter account.
Nigerian military accused of ignoring warnings
Haram’s campaign has left thousands of Nigerians in danger — in some
cases with the central government and others seemingly unable to help.
latest bloodshed began in Michika township, which Boko Haram took over
in September and declared to be part of its caliphate. The insurgents
then moved into villages including Murva, Bororo, Ghumci, Garta-Kasa,
Kamale, Boka, Futu and Kwabaride.
workers have been unable to reach residents who fled into the
mountains, said Mohammed Kanar, head of the National Emergency
Management Agency for northeast Nigeria.
are aware there are people trapped in the mountains but they are
inaccessible. The security situation is a challenge in reaching them and
offering them humanitarian assistance,” Kanar said.
said the military has not responded to complaints that he and other
community leaders lodged, calling for its intervention.
we alert the military when they are advancing on villages before they
attack, but no action is taken to stop them,” he said.
insurgents have been killing with impunity. When they attack a village,
they will sleep there for the night after the slaughter and move on the
next morning,” the lawmaker said.
International on Wednesday leveled a similar accusation, saying it had
evidence that the Nigerian military was warned repeatedly about
impending Boko Haram attacks on civilians late last year on Bogo and
wake-up call for the Nigerian leadership, the African Union and the
international community,” said Amnesty’s Netsanet Belay. “It is
essential to protect hundreds of thousands of civilians in northeast
Nigeria from Boko Haram’s continued onslaught.”
Nigerian Defense Ministry responded by calling the allegation
“misleading,” saying that Amnesty’s use of “these unfortunate activities
of terrorists to find fault with the counterterrorism operations, as
usual, is inaccurate and unfair.”
Defense Ministry said its forces have enhanced their intelligence
abilities, troop deployment and coordination, and logistics
protection of civilian populations is the essence of the entire
counterterrorism operation,” the ministry said. “… Indeed, the troops
were prepared and duly engaged the terrorists in all the instances
referred to by Amnesty International.”