White House intruder captured after more than 15 minutes

March 18, 2017 10:30 pm

A view of The (Photo by AP)

authorities have acknowledged that a man who breached the White House security last week was on the grounds for more than fifteen minutes prior to his arrest.
The intruder, who according to CNN was identified as Jonathan Tran, was taken “into custody on the grounds without incident,” on March 10.
The Secret Service released new details in a statement on Friday about the incident, saying he was on the grounds outside the residence of President Donald Trump for more than 15 minutes, while Trump was in the Washington mansion.
Tran managed to climb a five-foot fence as well as an eight-foot gate and hop another fence near the southeast corner of the White House’s East Wing before he was captured, according to the statement.
House Oversight Chairman Jason Chaffetz said he even managed to rattle a door handle at the South Portico entrance to the White House, although he did not make it inside, CNN reported.
The Secret Service also confirmed “at no time did the individual gain entry into the White House.”

The White House intruder Jonathan Tran is pictured in a court sketch.

If convicted Tran faces a maximum of 10 years in prison, according to the paper.
Following the incident Trump praised the agency for a “fantastic job.” A source however told CNN earlier Friday that Tran set off several alarms, but was able to avoid other sensors.
The source said “the response to the alarm was lacking, and found (the suspect) vulnerabilities in the system.”
In a letter to the acting director of the Secret Service, Chaffetz said his committee is now investigating the incident. “We spend billions of dollars on personnel and dogs and technologies and fences and undercover people and video surveillance,” he told CNN.
“And yet the person is able to get up close to the White House and spend 17 minutes before he’s apprehended. That’s unbelievable,” he added.
It was not the first time that a person entered the White House grounds. In one instance in September 2014, an Army veteran carrying a knife, climbed the fence and made it through the north portico doors, while the first family was not at the White House.
shared on wplocker.com