Georgia police, protesters clash over student’s death

September 19, 2017 10:50 am
have clashed with protesters in Atlanta, , after a peaceful vigil for a “mentally ill” student killed by campus officers turned violent.
At least three people were taken into custody, after police tried to counter angry protesters at the Georgia Institute of Technology, who had gathered to remember 21-year-old student Scout Schultz, who was killed by police over the weekend. 
Before his death, Schultz had called campus police officers to report an armed and possibly intoxicated suspicious person. However, the cops opened fire on him when he approached them with what they thought was a knife in his hand.
The object was later on identified as a multipurpose tool with a knife blade that was not out.
The Monday night clashes at the university also left two officers injured. The angry protesters, who had marched towards the campus police department, also set a police SUV on fire.
The university advised all students to remain indoors and lock doors and windows until the violence ends. 

Police officers point their guns at a Georgia Tech student moments before killing him in Atlanta, Georgia, September 16, 2017. (Photo from social media)

Schultz’s family issued a statement through their attorney, urging protesters to remain peaceful.
“(W)e ask that those who wish to protest Scout’s death do so peacefully. Answering violence with violence is not the answer,” the statement said. “Our goal is to work diligently to make positive change at Georgia Tech in an effort to ensure a safer campus for all students.”
A campus police spokesman told local media that Georgia Tech police do not carry stun guns and are only equipped with firearms and pepper spray.

The alleged multipurpose tool a student had in its hand before being killed on Georgia Tech campus by police, Atlanta, Georgia. (Social media photo)

Stewart said the officer who shot Schultz had overreacted and should have handled the situation better because Schultz was having a breakdown and was suicidal.
“The mentally ill are looking for a way out when they’re having a full breakdown, and there’s no way you should be able to use a police officer to take your life when that person isn’t threatened,” the attorney said.
Authorities have yet to identify the officer who shot Schultz. Georgia Tech has refused to release personnel or disciplinary reports involving the officers.
shared on