US President Donald Trump has been warned to “quiet down” his Twitter account in the wake of Hurricane Maria’s impact on Puerto Rico.
Trump has been blaming Puerto Rico for not doing enough to help itself.
Illinois Democratic Representative Luis Gutierrez censured Trump’s approach in an interview on MSNBC aired on Saturday.
Coffins that were washed downhill from the Lares Municipal Cemetery by a landslide are seen in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria in Lares, Puerto Rico, September 30, 2017. (Photo by AFP)
“Just to see the mud and the debris filled with the rivers that have overflowed, seeing people who are trapped, and seeing people risking their lives to rescue them,” said the Democratic lawmaker in the US House of Representatives.
The US president took to Twitter to aim at San Juan Mayor Carmen Yulín Cruz earlier in the day, claiming that she and “and others in Puerto Rico” expect “everything to be done for them” by the Trump administration.
“No, Mr. President, people are working – come here and see. Quiet down your Twitter and open your heart to the people of Puerto Rico,” Gutierrez (pictured below) stated.
Trump has been under fire over the federal government’s response to the situation in Puerto Rico in the wake of Maria, the tenth-most intense Atlantic hurricane on record, the worst to strike Dominica in its recorded history, and the strongest in Puerto Rico since 1928.
US Vice President Mike Pence also defended his boss’s performance by taking to Twitter.
“With leadership of @POTUS & @ricardorossello – @FEMA & Team Puerto Rico making real progress,” said the former Indiana governor.
A car drives into the San Lorenzo River after a bridge was swept away by Hurricane Maria in Morovis, Puerto Rico on September 30, 2017. (Photo by AFP)
“Millions more meals & water delivered today. 51 of 69 hospitals taking patients, half of grocery/big box stores now open, 11 major highways cleared & over 60% of fuel stations open,” Pence continued. “Much more work to do but as @POTUS has said to PR & VI: We are with you, we will stay with you, and we will come back stronger than ever.”
Pence’s tweets appeared as an attempt to make up for the massive backlash the president is facing over his response to the humanitarian crisis on the US island territory.
Hundreds of people line up to buy ice at a local plant in the aftermath of Hurricane Maria, in Arecibo, Puerto Rico, September 30, 2017. (Photo by AFP)
The Trump administration has been defending it response to the hurricane attacking the Puerto Rican officials, and accusing the “fake news
media” of attempts to undermine relief efforts.
Since the 2016 presidential campaign, Trump has repeatedly used the term “fake news” largely for any coverage criticizing him or his allies.